Site Hierarchy Messy
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »
Hi

The hierarchical structure of my site is coming out very messy. I'm not surprised, to be honest.

Most of the site is held on one level - but we have around 20,000 urls in the sitemap.

Can I manage this by setting the priorities?

So, there is the single 'Priority' field. If I am to assign priority do I leave that blank?

Could I then set the highest priority to home, then to other 'main' navigation pages, and then to some select pages based on partial URLs that have fixed elements (e.g. article/)?

Thanks
Rob
Re: Site Hierarchy Messy
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »
Hello,

yes, you can use auto-prioriry setting, with main priority set to 1.0 (it will be assigned to y our homepage)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »
Thanks - but that's how I started and got a very messy structure.

This is because we have a lot of dynamically created content that is not all held in subfolders.

It also wouldn't be clear to the crawler what pages are main navigation pages as these - and other files - are held on one level.

I have also just read advice not to use any 3rd party tool on large dynamic sites...

Thanks

Rob
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
I have a similar issue with my unlimited site map.  I left the default priority level to 1.0 and had it automatically change with depth level.  Now my Google Custom search is showing second and third pages of a story before the primary page (site is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].  Example would be to search Wyatt Earp in our custom search on the upper left border.  It shows several pages (we-wyattearp5.html, 3 ect) on the first page of results, but the primary page (we-wyattearp.html) isn't listed for several search pages.). 

If I leave priority level blank, will it remove that data from the xml?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »
Hello,

the priority field in sitemap doesn't affect the search results, it's just a "hint" for se bots which pages to crawl first.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »
Interesting, since the search problem didn't begin until implementing the site map could it be something else in the xml it self? 
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
Nope, xml sitemap doesn't tell how to serve *search results*, that's just an instruction how to *crawl* your site better.