Generated sitemap
« on: August 03, 2005, 04:20:42 PM »
The generated sitemap doesn't upload to sitemap.xml. It did before but not any more. The only changes in the settings have been additiions to the "Exclude URLs". To get around it I have to copy the generated xml file and paste it into sitemap.xml.
Any idea what the problem might be?
Re: Generated sitemap
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 04:25:06 PM »
Hi,

the script doesn't upload the sitemap, it stores the file as specified in "Save sitemap to:" field at configuration page. If should be the same file at your host as "Your Sitemap URL" if you want it to work automatically without uploading it yourself.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:07:50 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean upload to Google but save to the sitemap.xml on my server. The path in "Your Sitemap URL:" is correct. It did save to sitemap.xml at least once but when aI generate a new xml file it doesn't save it to sitemap.xml. The xml on the admin page is correct so I end up copying this and paste it into sitemap.xml on my server. I upload it manualy from [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »
Hi,

I see. It may be two situations here:
- the permissions for sitemap.xml has changed and the script is not allowed to write to it anymore
- you've enabled the gzip compression feature - in this case the script is trying to save to sitemap.xml.gz file instead of sitemap.xml
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:16:38 PM »
sitemap.xml.gz is not checked and permission is 666. It was checked at first but I unchecked it to be able to write to it, which worked at least once.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:28:12 PM »
That is strange, could you please PM me the link of your generator instance?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 03:59:13 PM »
It did work now. If its repeated I'll get back to you.  However, I did notice something strange in our stats program Urchin 5. When I generate a new sitemap Urchin shows this as a MASSIVE spike in the page view section. I have to submit stats reports so if this is related I'll need a way to work around it.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 01:33:26 AM »
Hi,

yes, I see. The generator requests EVERY page on your site, so it may be really noticable in the stats.
The generator script (v.1.08) uses the following user-agent string: "XML-Sitemaps Generator 1.0 (https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/)", you can probably add this agent string to the SE bots list (or to ignore these hits). I believe Urchin allows this to do (I'm not sure exactly though).