Broken links with no "referred from"
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
After upgrading to v4.0(this may or may not be related to this problem) I started getting the same nine broken links on my site(which is unusual in itself as my site changes daily).  First, the links are not properly formatted and are somewhat jibberish as they are partially made from XML code to run queries on yahoo's news feed.

More importantly though is I have no way to diagnose the problem as each of these broken links have no link in "referred from"..

Any advice is most appreciated.
Re: Broken links with no "referred from"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:11:16 AM »
Hello,

make sure that "Maximum referred pages to store (for broken links list)" setting is greater than "0" in your configuration.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
Thanks what is a good number to use?  We currently have about 61,000 pages in our sitemap.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Thanks it worked and revealed the referring page.  All fixed now.

On an additional note, is there any way to find out from where a specific page was referred?  The page in question with this issue is three years old and there shouldn't be any links to it on my site.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »
There is no straightforward way to find that out, but you can temporarily remove that page, regenerate sitemap and get that page in broken links list (with referring pages URLs), then put that page back again.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
duh...good idea.  Will try tonight.