Error opening socket url
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
Hi guys,

Im getting the following error.

There was an error while retrieving the URL specified: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]/
Error message: Error opening socket to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

The software is running on my own webserver.

Any ideas

Thanks
Re: Error opening socket url
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
Hello,

looks like there is an extra slash character in Starting URL, make sure that it's set to:
Code: [Select]
http://www.domain.comand not to:
Code: [Select]
http://www.domain.com\
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:13:13 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply.

I have changed the url and im still getting the same error
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:33 AM »
Im still getting this error can anyone help.

I dont have a clue where to look as all the posts with this error have been corrected in a private message

thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:54 AM »
Hello,

please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
ive sent you the details in a pm
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »
I am getting the same issue was this resolved
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
Seemed to solve this problem but am now only getting top level being indexed and not the other pages.  Strange as when I tried the free online sitemap generator it managed to index max 500.  So what am I doing wrong here?
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
Hello,

please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »
I have this same problem.  Is there a permissions setting I am missing? 

Thanks

-Jack
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »
Hi Oleg.  Thanks for responding to my cry for help.  I've added "/home.aspx" to my URL, and then saved and tried crawling again- but it didn't work. 

Two things:  our site, [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ], is hosted by Akamai's network of servers.  Thus our "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]" name actually points to Akamai, which then points to our servers.  Thinking Akamai's network might be part of the problem, I used one of the Advanced Options to crawl an IP address instead, I put in "207.41.14.53" (which points to our box directly, not via Akamai), but I still get the error opening the socket.  Here is the hint for the field: Hint: SERVER[SERVER_ADDR] - , but I'm not sure what that hint means.  Here is what I put in that field:  [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]      Is this the correct format?

Lastly, if I can't get this to work, can we purchase your service to assist loading on the server?  I almost purchased when we bought the stand-alone package, but I see we can purchase the installation support at any time.  Is this something you can help me with after I purchase the support?

Thanks so much.

-Jack
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »
Hello,

please try to specify "207.41.14.53" in that setting.
You can order installation service here: https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/generator-addons.html