I'm getting error message: Unsupported file format
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
 :)

Dear Admin,

I created a Sitemap.xml file using your site -- but after uploading to the root directory of my webserver, when I submitted that xml file Sitemap.xml in my Google Webmaster tools, it's giving an error message that:" Unsupported file format Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit. Problem detected "

supplied inputs:

Starting URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Change frequency: daily
Last modification: use server's response (chosen option)
Priority: Automatic priority

It generated the xml file Sitemap.xml and then I uploaded it to the root folder of my site where my site's software is residing --- and in the Google Webmaster Tools, I verified my site and then I submitted this newly generated sitemap, Sitemap.xml (which is in my root folder of the site). Then it gave the error:
 "Unsupported file format Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit. Problem detected "

Please help me how can get the sitemap with supported format to submit to the Google Webmaster Tools..

Thanking you.
Naren

Re: I'm getting error message: Unsupported file format
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
Hello,

do you have .htaccess file in domain root folder? If yes, what is it's content?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
I get the same error.  I do not have a .htaccess file in the domain root folder.  I've tried redoing and resubmitting several time with no luck.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »
Well, let me rephrase that.  I don't think I have a .htaccess file in the root domain.  However, on my Ipage settings screen I have an icon that I use to select the "homepage."  I guess what I am asking is there a specific name I should be looking for?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »
I've resubmitted it probably around twenty times.  Every time, I get the same error:

"We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit."

I'm at the end of my rope, with the very little bit of knowledge I have on the subject.