Link names in generated Sitemap
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »
Hi,

Firstly thanks for offering such a great tool.

Today I run my site through your free online sitemap generator, but found that on the generated
html sitemap - ALL of the links are using the index pages "Title" tag as the Link name ie
Code: [Select]
<a href="http://www.ebasyi.com/sp/auction/auction.dll?action=Browse_Categories&Lang=English">ebasyi UK auctions - buy or sell online auction or fixed price with FREE Listings and £5 FREE CREDIT</a>
475 links all with that name the rest refer to the auction softwares vendors website which is not viewable when browsing the site either on screen or in view source - so no idea where that is taken from - Any suggestions ? 

Its really strange, but Im confused how to fix this I thought the value of the link which would be used is within the
Code: [Select]
<a href>[b]link[/b]</a> the actual urls are all correct.

thanks for any help
Re: Link names in generated Sitemap
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 12:33:50 AM »
Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but anchor text for the links is extracted from the <title> tag of target pages for better relevance of the link.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:58:35 PM »
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. Reading my post back  suppose it was a bit confusing.
the problem is that the sitemap is indeed taking the title tag as the anchor text, but it
is taking the title tag from the main page and using it on every other result, not the
individual page title tags.
 ie
If the index page has a title of "hello world" its is using that for every other link on every page.

Could it be because the whole site is dynamic ?

the strangest problem is the software vendor anchor texts as the site uses 26 templates to
create the content none of which have ref anywhere in them for the vendor and over the last 4 weeks of development not one page source has shown any ref to them yet your script found them somewhere as anchor text.

Not sure if it was clear but the other 3 formats xml ect where spot on the problem is only the html sitemap, only 1 link (the homepage) out of 500 has anchor text of any relevance any suggestions?

The title tags are auto produced using content from the page so they shouldnt all be the same (they arent if you randomly browse) - could be just unfortunate that in this instance the actual link achor text would be the most relevant.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:07:21 AM »
Hello,

please post thelink to html sitemap and an example link that has incorrect title as anchor text.
Thanks.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:52:57 PM »
Hi,

The sitemap can be found at [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and by way of an example look at the 17th link as the "viewitem" links are the most important - most have the tag 'eBaSyi uk online auction'

thanks for your time
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 04:06:13 AM »
Ok, I see. Please try to re-generate sitemap - this issue should be resolved now.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 11:13:49 AM »
Hi,

Thanks very much. Top class service and support.

Kind regards
Webmaster: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]