An odd issue
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
here is a very strange issue that I hope someone has an answer for. I've looked, searched, poked, and prodded and still come up empty.

Here it is in a nutshell. Since upgrading to version 4, this is the outputs I've seen in google.

-----
Be On The Look Out ForŪ - Allison Daugherty
Sep 11, 2008 ... Allison Daugherty is a 16 year old white female with blue eyes and blonde hair. She weighs 98 lbs (44 kg) and is 5'0 (152 cm) in height. ...
beonthelookoutfor.com/modules.php?name=missing&idd=792
-----

This is a search on Allison Daugherty. WHERE ON EARTH DOES THE DATE SEP 11, 2008 come from?!?!?!?! I have done text searches on the entire site directly from the command line (using grep -R) and NO WHERE does it show this date. It's pin pointed to something in version 4, because I can go back to version 3 and it doesn't show up.

Every single missing child I search for shows the exact same date. But nothing in the sitemap files. HELP!!!!!

Re: An odd issue
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
Hello,

google extracts dates from the page content, not from sitemap. In this case you have the following on your pages: "FAQ (09/11/2008)" and google assumes (although incorrectly) that this is the date related to the page.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:44:25 AM »
Again... ODD. I'll remove this and see if that works. Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
Apparently that was it. I removed the whole date and now it's working like it should. So Google uses the sitemap to look at the pages and because that date would have been on all pages, it figured it was something to display. Hrm. Stupid spider.