f4f

XML document must have a top level element.
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:09:46 PM »
Hi there,

I used the XML sitemap generator to create a sitemap.xml.

I downloaded it and saved it to my hardrive then published it to my public_html folder as per the instructions.

Below is the error code I receive in when i type [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] into internet explorer:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XML document must have a top level element. Error processing resource '[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the error I get from google when I try to add a new sitemap:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitemap Errors
Empty Sitemap

Your Sitemap does not contain any URLs. Please validate and resubmit your Sitemap.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The file the generator created looks ok and all the urls on my site are listed within it.... Can anyone help please ???

Thanks
F4F

f4f

Re: XML document must have a top level element.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 06:17:06 PM »
I uploaded it via Myftp and I can see the  xml file in the public_html ? Should it be somewhere else ?

How do I make the file have top level element ??
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 06:20:12 PM by f4f »
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
Hi,

you may try to download the file back from your host to ensure it was broken upload (it's content is not xml at all).

docman52

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 12:07:06 AM »
I have to say that I was impressed with your online sitemap generator.  I was able to generate my sitemap and upload it with no problem.  Just wondering why the results vary from one online generator to another.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 06:20:35 PM »
I have to say that I was impressed with your online sitemap generator.  I was able to generate my sitemap and upload it with no problem.  Just wondering why the results vary from one online generator to another.

Hi,
it is possible that some scripts couldn't find certain links within the pages (for instance, frames urls etc).
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »
I've read the message thread, and I am still a little confused, I ran into the same issue....[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]