Sitemap 404 error
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »
We currently use your software on our website and have referred a few others. One of the referrals is having some 404 errors with the data feed. Their host pointed them towards the url's including the & for the ampersands. I am aware that amp; is the proper code for using an ampersand in html.

She is an XML Sitemap customer also. An example of one of her feed links is:

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

Question, is there a configuration setting to not use the amp; in the feed? For some reason, Firefox and I.E. browsers are not finding the url. Until the amp; are removed.

Doesn't make sense to me. My website is valid XHTML Strict and I know the importance of proper coding (&). But her host is telling her to get rid of the amp;. Is it possible with this program?
Re: Sitemap 404 error
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
Hello,

although sitemap generator uses & in created xml sitemap file, google will follow the link with "&" instead, so there should be no issues with that - the pages will still be indexed fine.
Re: Sitemap 404 error
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
Thanks,

I instructed the person to discuss it further with their host. For some reason the host is telling her to get rid of the amp;. I told her it needs to be there for valid html and browsers recognize & as only &. Her host tried pasting a url into the browser and it returns "item not found". No idea what he's trying to do?

Thanks again for your confirmation.