Help, from a moron
« on: August 31, 2006, 05:27:05 PM »
Mysite was built form a template-website tonight. I have tried 23 sitemaps as of today and Google likes none of them. I have access to pages and sections on those pages- I can insert HTML, but that is it! I cannot create a folder or access folders...how do I add a sitemap that google will accept?
Re: Help, from a moron
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:59:43 AM »
Hello,

you should upload sitemap.xml file to your domain root in order to submit google sitemap.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 01:22:28 AM »
I am new to this and have a dumb question!

The instructions say to put the xml file to the "public_html/" folder.

I know this is stupid, but I don't have a "public_html/" folder - where should I put the site map? Also, is there anything I need to do after that (other than submitting it to Google)?

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:24:44 AM by robertem »
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 03:09:12 AM »
Hello,

the name of this folder might be different ("public_html" is probably the most common for unix hosts though) - this is the folder where you normally upload html files for your website.
The only thing to do after that is to submit sitemap URL to Google after that.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 03:22:07 AM »
Hello again,

I believe this would be the root folder for me.

after the sitemap is uploaded, do you have to link to it from somewhere in your site?

Thanks for the help!!!

Robert
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 11:46:08 PM »
I think I am in the same boat with goober. ::)
I generated all the sitemap files but I really do not know what to do from here.
I just built my first website on a template based host citymax so I don't have any root files that I know of.  I can add pages.  I am just lost.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 02:52:04 AM »
Hello,

you should upload all sitemaps to your website root and:
1. submit sitemap.xml to google at https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login
2. submit urllist.txt to Yahoo at http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request
3. add link to sitemap.html from your pages to let visitors easily navigate through your site