KC

sitemap generator counts links as pages?
« on: November 29, 2006, 06:14:40 AM »
Hello

I tried your online sitemap gen but it went over the 500 page mark. Fair enough, I think the unlimited version is a bargain but I'm concerned about how it counts pages. My site is in reality only a couple hundred pages but it seems that sitemap gen is counting " links" as pages. My site is more or less an archive and I have numerous links on each page which point to various spots on the same page. ie: long lists of names "as links" pointing to info on each name. Firstly, it does not seem to be a fair way of counting pages, but more importantly it seems to me Google might find a sitemap with dozens upon dozens of links which point to the same page as some sort of spam. Am I misunderstanding  something here?

KC

Re: sitemap generator counts links as pages?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 01:22:10 AM »
Yes, that was what I meant. If it doesn't count these links then I am not sure what is happening, I certainly don't have over 500 pages. Wish I had saved the terminated output for review. I'll try the online gen again and pay closer attention to the pages it is counting.

Thanks
Re: sitemap generator counts links as pages?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
Yes, sure. Just check the resulting sitemap file and see if there is an URL that doesn't really exist at your site.