ron8

Problems running SMG, hangs etc
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:19:51 AM »
Hi

We have been running generator ok in the past but since about May it has not been working for us.  We have checked configuration, permissions (and have been assured by the hosting co they are still correct) and spent ages looking for solutions in the forums and documentation.

Sometimes it works – we have run sites of 120 and 320 pages ok but other times these have failed. The fact that it sometimes runs suggests the permissions etc are in fact correct.

The crawl screen does not ever show the progress. – sometimes blank, other times the crawl message frame has the “IE cannot display web page” message. Running it on a site of 4000 pages hung with the IE message.

We have the config set up to only produce one site map (all other sitemap types turned off) but we get up to 4 notifications by email – maybe it is running generator 4 times? It looks to be creating all of the sitemap types (txt, ror etc) even though turned off.

After we receive the email to tell us the map has generated, if we try to go to the configuration page (/index.php?op=config ) we cannot – seems to hang. Also hangs going to the broken links page at
/index.php?op=l404

Sometimes when we open our sitemap.xml file from the email there is data, other times not.

In /generator/php.ini we have
max_execution_time = 9500
max_input_time = 500
memory_limit=2500M

I have installed the files for v5. I don’t know what to check or try next to try to fix this or debug it further.  We need to be able to index a site of 13000 pages and a number of other smaller ones.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, we need to get this running again!

Thanks

Ron
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:21:55 AM by ron8 »
Re: Problems running SMG, hangs etc
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »
Hello,

in case if config page hangs when you try to open it in browser after creating sitemap, please try to close the browser and re-open it. Possibly there is an active open connection kept by browser when you started crawling.

ron8

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:02:15 AM »
It seem that the generator page isn't opening because the generator seems to run 4 times before stopping - I get 4 email notifications for each map I generate.  So if I get the first email and then try opening generator page, it doesn't because it is busy running the next sitemap (for the same site).

Why is this happening - is it my settings? I have it set to only generate the main sitemap - not the text ror or html ones as well.

i think it is also not finding all the links on some pages but will check that more once we get this issue resolved so it runs properly. (for a site of 13000 pages, running it 4 times is not good  :-\

regards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
Hello,

I would recommend to run generator one time, and not re-opening it until you get an email notification that it has completed.

ron8

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
Thanks, but I am only running one generator at a time, starting it from the crawl screen.  But it sends me 4 email notifications and makes 4 entries in the change log so looks like it is running 4 times for some reason.  I can only get back to the config screen after it has completed the 4th time. Shall I pm you the url?

ron8

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »
Hi

Seems we might have solved this by changing hosting cos so don't know what was going on.  Now runs most ok except for memory error on large sites. (see another post re this)

Thanks

Ron