Excluding 301 Forwards from Sitemaps
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »
After running xml-sitemaps and producing the site map, I have the following issue within webmaster tools. 

"When we tested a sample of URLs from your Sitemap, we found that some URLs redirect to other locations. We recommend that your Sitemap contain URLs that point to the final destination (the redirect target) instead of redirecting to another URL."

We have a number of URLs that 301 to another URL.  I want to know how its possible to exclude any URLs that perform 301s from the crawling automatically.  Is this possible?

Thanks!
Re: Excluding 301 Forwards from Sitemaps
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:30:05 AM »
Hello,

please click on that sitemap entry to find out details, i..e which exactly URLs are reported.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
Yes, thanks.  I know I can go in and manually see what URLs are reported. 

I was hoping that the xml-sitemaps tool can test the 301s and either automatically remove the redirected url or use the final location of the url, as google does not like to see the re-directions in a site map.   

Is this possible or is there a setting to do this?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
Yes, 301-redirected URLs should be detected automatically and not included in sitemap.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
Hi

I also have URLs which are 301-redirected, using PHP.  The redirects happen successfully, so I am reasonably sure my PHP is OK.

However, the non-redirected URL appears in the sitemap xml and the one it is redirected to does not.  Obviously this will be unsatisfactory for google.

Can you give me any pointers as to how to fix this please?

Thanks, Mike
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
Hi

I can sort of provide them - currently we are testing on our dev environment which has no DNS resolution (you can add the URL to your hosts file though - let me know if you need the details to do that).

But the same URLs work in the same way on our live site, for example:

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

redirects to

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

Using hte httpfox pluggin for FireFox, a 301 redirect does seem to be happening correctly - but the URL in the sitemap (generated on our dev server but same setup) includes the first URL instead of the second.

Thanks, mike
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »
Hello,

please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
Hi

I thought I'd replied to you, but apparently not.

Our dev enviornment is dev.11v11.com - needs t be added to hosts file as has no DNS resolution.

I'm sure I PMed you the ip and credentials yesterday - but will do so again.

Thanks and cheerio, Mike
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
Yes, I was able to connect earlier and sent you a reply:
I've updated your crawler settings, please check now.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
That was a different issue, I think.

But don't worry - I'll check again and get back to you if i still have problem with redirected URLs.

Cheers, Mike