Google Webmaster Tools and Pro site maps
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »
Hi

I have set up my Pro Site Map Generator within Google Webmaster Tools as hostedsitemaps.com and I get daily updates which is great, and it looks like its working

The site to which it refers is also with Webmaster Tools, does it matter that within the sitemap section for that site it says there is none. That is, the WebMaster tools interface does not recognise the hostedsitemap data, but am I right in thinking that Google in its wisdom when reading the hostedsitemap data KNOWS it refers to the site above? So I can ignore the fact that my company website does not have a sitemap.xml for the webmaster tools page to see

Any of that make sense?

Cheers, Douglas
Re: Google Webmaster Tools and Pro site maps
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Hello,

you need to add entries for your domain AND aXX.hostedsitemaps.com in webmaster account, then submit sitemap in hostedsitemaps entry manually and it will be processed by google.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:27 AM »
Thanks and I think I understand

I have two Domains listed under Webmaster Tools,

MyDomain.com:- the website (MyDomain) I need a sitemap for and

HostedSiteMaps.com - I manually entered the sitemap for MyDomain above as instructed on the Pro Sitemap 'submit sitemap' page and I can look at the sitemap and it is correct for MyDomain (and verified by uploading a Google file to MyDomain)

The MyDomain site does not have a sitemap.xml but the sitemap listed with HostedSiteMaps.com  refers to MyDomain and Google will know this....correct?

The bit that confuses me is the 'submit sitemap' section for MyDomain is partially filled out by Google already, not allowing me to enter the URL for hostedsitemaps data for my sitemap. Should I just accept the fact that my website and the site map are separate but linked.

For my other sites I use UnlimitedSiteMap Generator which of course produces the sitemaps within the Domain it refers to. But if I have got the above correct I'll switch to hosted sitemaps

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
> The MyDomain site does not have a sitemap.xml but the sitemap listed with HostedSiteMaps.com  refers to MyDomain and Google will know this....correct?

Yes, this is correct.