How to submit my offsite PRO Sitemap to Google and Bing
« on: June 13, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
Dear colleagues, I am unable to inform Google and Bing about the location of our pro-sitemaps.com hosted site maps.

*** Google
The instructions state:
Now create an entry for domain that hosts your sitemap:
enter this domain as "Site URL":
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
   PROBLEM = Google knows my site to be [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and forces a sitemap URL to be prefixed with our domain, resulting the nonsense URL [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
   QUESTION: Any idea how to work around this?

*** Bing
Instructions say: Add an entry for your website ([ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]) and verify it (if you have not done so before)
Now create an entry for domain that hosts your sitemap:
enter this domain as "Site URL":
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
  PROBLEM = Bing knows my site to be [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ], and has verified this one. And when I submit this URL it says: It seems you are not verified to use this location. Yet, the "BingSiteAuth.xml" was uploaded and saved into my pro-sitemaps.com account using the offered interface.
  QUESTION: Any idea how to work around this?

Hope to learn from your wisdom and experience. Thanks!

Hans
Re: How to submit my offsite PRO Sitemap to Google and Bing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
Hello,

> QUESTION: Any idea how to work around this?

You should "Add a site" for "x99999.hostedsitemaps.com " domain, do not submit sitemap under your domain name
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
Dear oleg:

Thank you for your reply. Let me rephrase it and please confirm I have it right...

In Bing and in Google, I currently manage a domain "Dynaread.com". Instead of trying to add "x99999.hostedsitemaps.com" somewhere under the domain "Dynaread.com", you are saying: Add a second domain to manage, namely "x99999.hostedsitemaps.com". CONFIRM??

*** Why would Bing and Google contribute this action to "Dynaread.com" from an SEO standpoint? Are these sitemaps simply means to tell Google and Bing that these pages exist - no matter what master-domain they are a part of. CONFIRM?

I also added a robots.txt in the root of "Dynaread.com" as instructed by your instructions.

*** Lastly: Should I manually report the "Dynaread.com" and "x99999.hostedsitemaps.com" to Bing and Google to crawl?

Looking forward to your confirmations and last answers. Thanks, Oleg!

Hans

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
> Add a second domain to manage, namely "x99999.hostedsitemaps.com". CONFIRM??

Correct.

> *** Why would Bing and Google contribute this action to "Dynaread.com" from an SEO standpoint?

Because sitemap.xml file contains links to your domain.

> *** Lastly: Should I manually report the "Dynaread.com" and "x99999.hostedsitemaps.com" to Bing and Google to crawl?

You just need to add them in webmaster account.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:22:07 AM »
I am having a similar issue for a hosted sitemap, and was wondering if you could help. If the solution for submitting a hosted site map is to "add a site" in WMT, then how is this separate site validated? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »
You should open "Submit sitemap" section in your pro sitemap account for details on how to verify hosted sitemap domain in google webmaster account.