Can't generate sitemap.xml
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »
I've been struggling with this for at least a week. I really need some help.

I have a very large site on GoDaddy. Because I can't control any of the timeout settings, I am unable to run the sitemap generator on GoDaddy. So I have it set up on a vm and pointing to my URL.

Here's my configuration:
Starting URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Save sitemap to: C:\Resource Center\generator/data/sitemap.xml
Your Sitemap URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] 
On the local vm, I created a website (C:\Resource Center) in which this xml lives (C:\Resource Center\sitemap.xml)

When I run the sitemap generator, it indexes 36,243 pages and runs for about 2.5hrs. However, sitemap.xml is empty. Every version of sitemap.xml that I can find in any place I can imagine it might be is empty. However, I have the "Create sitemap in Text format" selected and that file looks great. I know it's crawling the site; it's just not generating the XML.

Before starting the generator I ensured there's an empty sitemap.xml file in the data directory and in the root directory.

At this point, I'm completely making guesses as to what to change. I have no idea where I'm going wrong. I have clients and internal folks complaining that the search field on our site returns many 404 links, so I desperately need a working sitemap sooner rather than later.

I appreciate any guidance on this one. Thanks!!
Re: Can't generate sitemap.xml
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Hello,

you should allow write access to sitemap.xml file so that generator can write to it (in case of windows you might need to allow write access for IUSR_* or Everyone usergroup)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
Sitemap.xml is still empty after the generator indexed 36241 pages.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
OK, I removed a trailing \ in the Starting URL page and changed the Save Sitemap To field to another directory. For some reason it worked this time. I'm taking screenshots of this configuration in case it stops working again.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
It's definitely working now. I needed to remove that silly / at the end of my Starting URL and assign the permissions you mentioned to sitemap.xml.

Thanks for all your help, Oleg!!