Indexing of popup windows containing .pdf files
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »
Hello!

I've got a download document manager component installed on my site. It provides a "preview" button which calls for a javascript popup window where the .pdf file is displayed. Developer of the component said that normally such content is indexed by Google. Also there is an option to preview a .pdf file in a new browser window without a menu bar.

Can generator handle these scenarios?

Thanks
Re: Indexing of popup windows containing .pdf files
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
Hello,

there must be an html link pointing to a document for that.

Hello,

I have done html links pointing to .pdf documents which open up in a browser. I set generator config section to Joomla, the rest of settings is default, but I do not see that these pages are included in the XML-sitemap.

Please advise what else needs to be done or checked.

Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
Some additional information to my post above.

In the configuration of the generator I've got the following URls excluded:

print=
do_pdf=
pop=1
task=emailform
task=trackback
task=rss
only_page
pop=0
shop.tos
shop.feed
shop.ask

My links to .pdf files look like [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]. They are SEF links.

I contacted also the developers of other components but would appreciate your opinion as well.

Thanks.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »
Are the links ending with ".html" or ".pdf" though? You might need to add them to "Do not parse" setting to get them indexed.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »
The links are html links - not pdf links. When you click on them the pdf files open in a browser.
Below are examples of links from a real site:

1 [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
2 [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

I am running generator on a small copy of the real site on my PC - because real site contains over 20 000 pages.

When it is running I clearly see that generator is crowling these html pages but when crowling is complete they are not included into the sitemap.

My configuration is below.

Exclude from sitemap extensions:
divx flv zip m4a m4v rar tar bz2 tgz exe gif tif jpg png class jar mpeg mpg mp3 wav mp4 avi wmv gz mov mid ra ram

Add directly in sitemap (do not parse) extensions:
xml pdf doc eps ps txt rtf ppt xls rss

Exclude URLs:
print=
do_pdf=
pop=1
task=emailform
task=trackback
task=rss
only_page
pop=0
shop.tos
shop.feed
shop.ask
print=1
com_mailto

Probably I am missing something - please help to resolve the problem since it is of highest importance for me.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:01:09 AM by capricorn »
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
Hello,

I fixed the problem by reengineering these links - making them contain a common string, and including this string into "Do not parse" configuration section. Seems to work.

Thanks