Short or empty RSS
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
I create an RSS with each XML map but they normally are too short and include one or no items...

I've updated many files, created some new ones in the last 30 days, but they don't appear and I've set it to include the last 60 days...

Should the PHP files incude a date or something so they are included/detected as updated files?
Any ideas?

Thanks

<channel>
<title>PuertoVallarta.net RSS Feed RSS Feed</title>
<link>[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]</link>
<description>My Feed at [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]</description>
<lastBuildDate>Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:45:36 UTC</lastBuildDate>
<pubDate>Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:45:36 UTC</pubDate>
</channel>
</rss>
Re: Short or empty RSS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »
Hello,

it compares new sitemap with previous one, so it would not include older URLs right after changing that setting.
Unless you set number of days to "0", in this case all pages are added in rss feed.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
OK, that's helpful.

The days to zero creates an incredibly large RSS that is not even accepted in Feedburner due to size...

So I'm gathering that there is no intermediate option then (?)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »
If you set it to 60 days, it will start gathering URLs from todays date and keep links for 60 days.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »
Thanks for that clarification. One more thing, how does the system determine which files it adds to the RSS feed? I mean, does it check the file date, the content change... or does it only grab entirely new files?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
Actually I put your theory to test today and I can say the RSS feed, despite being configured to 60 days, only adds the files that are added the exact day the site is crawled for the XML file. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks a lot

M.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:28 PM »
Correct, it will start collecting URLs from the day when you change the  rss setting.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
I changed the setting to 60 days on Feb 18th, each time I do the update, only the changes done in that day appear, the ones in the previous days disappear... so what is wrong? Today I changed some restaurants and they appear, but the 40 changes from the previous days on longer appear... what is wrong? [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
Hello,

please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.