Editing HTML sitemap
« on: December 17, 2006, 02:36:18 AM »
The html sitemap that was generated for me is fairly useless to site visitors, probably because a lot of the pages are dynamic. The links have all seemingly been generated, but a great deal of them have the same link name (basically the title of my site), even though they all go to their designated pages. Also, most of the links are listed on their own, as one page in one category, rather than grouped as several pages within one category. So my question is, can I edit the html sitemap to reflect the proper structure so it makes sense to site visitors if they choose to look at it?

Also, I've read in several places that only the html sitemap needs to be placed as a link on the index page. So why then does this site also have the XML as a link?
Re: Editing HTML sitemap
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 11:47:35 PM »
Hello,

HTML sitemap is structured by folders by sitemap generator, since it's impossible to recognize "general logical structure" and that is the only way to make URLs grouped.
As for links anchor text, it is retrieved from the page title of destination link (<title> tag).
Also, I've read in several places that only the html sitemap needs to be placed as a link on the index page. So why then does this site also have the XML as a link?
The only reason is that this site's purpose is generating sitemaps, so this is a "demo" of our xml sitemap :)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 04:44:32 AM »
Thanks. I suspected that's why you have the XML link on the site.

My main question still is what the limitations are on editing the generated HTML file. I understand your brief explanation about the folders, but look at what my generated sitemap file looks like. Is this what I should expect?
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 08:01:51 PM »
Yes, this is how it should look, separated in a tree-like structure per-folder.