dig

Remote installation
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:50:25 PM »
May I install the "PHP XML Sitemap Generator" in MY desktop computer -- because my Host doesn't support PHP... -- and then, after having crawled my pages, upload via FTP the ready "sitemap.xml" to my website (in my host)?
Re: Remote installation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 04:31:23 PM »
Yes, it is possible.
Certainly, you will need a web-server installed at your PC with PHP support to do that (although installing at the same host that is crawled should be preferred, since the performance is much better in this case).

dig

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 04:41:21 PM »
Well, as a (almost) newbie, I may dare in ask You:

- What did You mean by "you will need a web-server installed at your PC"?
- Is not my single PC-just-connected via ADSL to my host server?

...THanks again...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 11:35:26 AM »
Hi,

Basically, webserver is not *required* for this, having php installed you can run script in command line mode (that may be a bit confusing for "almost newbie" though :) ).
you mentioned that your host doesn't support PHP, so if there is no PHP at your PC neither, the sitemap generator just wouldn't run (since it is written in php ;) )
So, you need to have a PHP interpreter to execute the script.

dig

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »
...Well, well -- perhaps there should be -another- solution:

- Although the general features of the PHP-standalone version say the script should be installed "onto the same host that should be crawled", allow me to ask, again:

- Provided MY desktop does not have a PHP also, may I open a SECOND domain and install it in ANOTHER Host-that-provides-PHP, install THERE your program and, FROM THERE, do the crawlinf of my site [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »
Hi,

sure, it is possible, just like our online xml generator does.