permissions of root folder if this app run from root
« on: December 28, 2006, 07:09:30 AM »
Is there any harm in having my site's root folder(where sitemap.xml will reside) being chmod to 666?

If I don't want to do that if I cron a task running as root this shouldn't be necessary correct?  How should permissions be set?

Also I would like to have multiple sitemaps, as some pages change quite often while others don't, with some being brand new pages each day.  What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks to all
Re: permissions of root folder if this app run from root
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:57:38 PM »
Hello,

you should NOT change permissions for your site root folder to 0666, it is only required for sitemap.xml FILE that is located in your domain root.

Also I would like to have multiple sitemaps, as some pages change quite often while others don't, with some being brand new pages each day.  What is the best way to go about this?
You can setup multiple instances of sitemap generator for this.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:59:42 PM »
[/quote]

Multiple instances?  What do you mean?  separate folders with the app duplicated?  Or can you just run the app and specify a profile/config etc?

Also in the docs you might want to make it a little more clear that the sittemap.xml file(s) needs to be in the root of the sitemap reported in Google sitemaps and those files need to be manually created and permissions set on them individually when setting it all up(and not the folders).  Any Linux/php/SEO guru would know this, but even I kinda had a brain fart and forgot despite doing LAMP stuff for many years.

Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 10:58:28 PM by jnmunsey »
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:51:05 AM »

Still trying to clarify the multiple instances suggestion.  Do I have to create a whole new folder and copy of the script into it?  Is there not a way to tell the script to run different profiles?