Three days, missing crawl button - abort - CLI?
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:06:32 AM »
OK I am running the SG on a new dynamic site which isn't released yet, so should not be more than 20,000 odd pages at this time. I ran SG a few times with cautious config settings to gauge how long it may take to map the whole site. I had some memory issues a couple times so changed the settings and fixed them. It was doing 5000 pages in reasonable time. So then I lifted the restrictions on the number of pages to crawl and let it loose as a background process.

It's now 3 days later and the crawl button is still not visible on the crawl page - I just see "[checkbox] Do not interrupt the script...", but no button. So I guess it's still running, and may have gone out of control crawling the whole internet or stuck in a loop some where or something.

I stopped using SM a couple years back because I had a lot of similar issues running it on two two very large sites, and it started overloading the server on occasions.

I don't have access to reboot the serber this site is on, so how can I abort so that I can re-adjust settings and run again? I tried renaming the script directory for a while, hoping it would crash the process and reset, but that didn't work. Is there a CLI I can SSH into to monitor, control or abort the process? If so where can I find out about usage?
Re: Three days, missing crawl button - abort - CLI?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
You can manually create an empty file named "interrupt.log" in generator/data/ folder to instruct generator to stop if it's running.

If you are not seeing the button on the crawl screen that means there is not enough memory allowed to use to load the script from the last save point.

You can send us your sitemap generator url at https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/contact.html and we can take a look at it for.
Philip Nicosia
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
I have sent you my URL.

Are you saying that there is no way to abort or reset? So now I need to reinstall SM to get the crawl button back? Can I suggest that you add a feature to abort/reset to prevent this issue as I have had this problem on other sites in the past.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
I have manually deleted files in the data directory - everything within progress directory and the log files and now I have the crawl button again. It would make a lot of sense to have a button in the interface that can do that to abort or reset!