How do I view the error log?
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:58:35 AM »
I can see in \data there are datestamp.log files and crawl_dump.log files generated.

datestamp.log files are a single line and don't seem to offer an obvious way to reformat them for easier reading.

crawl_dump.log files look like some kind of binary file format when opened in notepad.

Are there any specified tools for view these files?

Where does everyone else see the error messages they are reporting?
Re: How do I view the error log?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
Hello,

log files can be see on generator's Changelog page in browser. crawl_dump is used by generator internally.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
Hi Oleg,

the log files don't seem to contain any error messages, just URLs crawled or not.  I am getting some errors but I can't see them because they are happening when run from the command line.

I have entered an email address in the conf file but I don't have any email service set up on my web server so I don't think emails are going to be sent (and I haven't received any).

Is there any way to get errors logged to a file on the server?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Hello,

if you run it in command line, you can redirect message to a file like:
php runcrawl.php > filename.txt
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:20:52 PM »
Hi Oleg,

my scripting isn't that good and I have not been able to make what you suggest work. 

This is what I have at the moment in vbscript.  I get a WScript object and call run.  When I do this I have to pass in the php.exe path and the file that php is going to act on.  After that it ignores any output redirection.

Code: [Select]

' run generator, don't show cmd shell, wait for cmd to finish before continuing script
oWShell.Run """C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v5.3\php.exe"" ""D:\ThirdPartyWebsites\XmlSitemapGenerator\runcrawl.php""" , 0, true

I have tried variations of this but I can't get it to work.  That is moving where the "> output.log" part goes.

Code: [Select]

' run generator, don't show cmd shell, wait for cmd to finish before continuing script
oWShell.Run """C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v5.3\php.exe"" ""D:\ThirdPartyWebsites\XmlSitemapGenerator\runcrawl.php"" > output.log" , 0, true

Any other suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
Hello,

I'm not sure which option would work better for your server, you might need to contact your hosting support to find out.