Several XML Sitemap Generator Issues
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
Good afternoon,

I have been attempting to create a sitemap for my website which contains over 200,000 links, unsuccessfully, since the time of my purchase back in 2009. The most I have ever been able to create is 12,0000 which is currently added to my Google Webmaster Account.

However, I would like to get a full sitemap up as I believe it will help with better indexing of the site.

Currently the sitemap script seems to be stuck at this point:

Code: [Select]
Links depth: 13
Current page: XXXXX/322893/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.html (replaced with X's for privacy)
Pages added to sitemap: 100151
Pages scanned: 100720 (17,869,670.8 KB)
Pages left: 1562 (+ 1957 queued for the next depth level)
Time passed: 49:04:02
Time left: 0:45:39
Memory usage: 57,046.8 Kb
| 4.3 |
============================================================ 2014-03-29 19:29:20 Resuming

The sitemap generator would stop every few hours over the last couple days of getting to this point. But now when I try resuming it stops almost immediately- about 1-2 minutes after resuming.

At this point I was like hey, great, it got up to 100,151 added, thats nearly x10 as much as my current sitemap so I was happy with it and ready to just stick with that. But then I login to my FTP to check the sitemap.xml file and it is 0bytes as if nothing had been written at all!

The sitemap.xml permission is set to 666 as outlined in installation/configuration documentation so I'm not sure what would be causing this.

Any assistance with resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated as I have been struggling with it since 2009!!  :o
Re: Several XML Sitemap Generator Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
Hello,

it looks like your server configuration doesn't allow to run the script long enough to create full sitemap. Please try to increase memory_limit and max_execution_time settings in php configuration at your host (php.ini file) or contact hosting support regarding this.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Are you sure that the only issue is the memory_limit and max_execution_time settings?
I only ask this because I feel like previously I had ran into the same issue as described as above, but when I reached the point of not being able to run the script any more, it still had successfully written the pages it did scan to sitemap.xml. Now, however, after it had scanned and wrote 100,000+ pages, sitemap.xml is empty 0bytes.

Thanks for your time!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:43:20 AM »
Hello,

yes, it looks so. Sitemap is created only after the crawling is completely finished, it would still be 0 bytes until that moment.