How do I use on Windows 7 (Running XAMPP locally)?
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
I just downloaded this and am a little confused on usage. I expected a native application that operated similarly to the free online version, where I could enter the URL for any website and generate an XML sitemap.

What I'm trying to do: I have a client who is IIS self-hosted but wants me to build a new (goDaddy Linux-based) WordPress site for them and recreate their 1000+ pages on that. In order to estimate the work, I have to figure out how many (and what) pages they have. So I need to generate an XML sitemap of their current IIS site (a site to which I have NO admin access.)

Looking over the instructions, it appears that this will have to be installed on a website (either hosted or one of my localhost sites) but it appears to run a script and I don't see an explanation for how to get a user interface to appear (similar to the demo) which would allow me to enter my Client's site URL.

Can you clarify? Or did I misunderstand how this tool was intended to be used?
Re: How do I use on Windows 7 (Running XAMPP locally)?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:54:23 AM »
I think you miss-understood  how this product works. It is for webmasters to install on their websites as a separate program that can then been run either automatically via a cron job or manually say every week or after changes by going to the URL on the website that the program is installed on.

It is a great tool and can be used for more that just creating a sitemap. It help check for broken links and gives you that extra confidence that after making a change it has been listed and the url can be checked.   
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:32 AM »
Hello,

installation instructions can be found here: https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/howto-install.html
It is required to have a web server with PHP support enabled to run generator.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
Oleg,

Thanks. Apparently, according to David107, I can't use this (like I can the online version) to simply check a site I don't have admin access to. If that's so, I need to pursue a refund.  :( I'll try to find out how to do that (if you can advise, it would be appreciated.)

Thanks again for both of your comments.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 06:25:08 PM »
To use the sitemap generator with XAMPP on Windows 7 you would need to copy the generator folder to the xammp/htdocs folder.

You should then be able to access the generator with your browser typing in localhost/generator
Philip Nicosia
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »
Philip,

Will that provide a form that will allow me to enter and generate a sitemap for any URL?

Thx, Glenn
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
It would look like https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/generator-demo/ and yes you can put any URL in it.

If you are using this for clients though you would need to buy a separate licence for each client.
Philip Nicosia
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Essentially, I'm copying the lines of the sitemap to an Excel spreadsheet for analysis -- not loading to sitemaps to client sites (my client xml-sitemaps are managed through WordPRess plugins.)

Under those circumstances (where I am not installing the generated sitemap on a site), would I have to buy a license for every use ?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »
If they are different clients you would need to buy separate licences.
Philip Nicosia
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »
OK. Understood. Thx.