Can I Specifiy Time for Daily Regeneration of Sitemap?
« on: January 20, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »
Hi ... subject says it all, except how would I do it. Thanks in advance. dgp
Re: Can I Specifiy Time for Daily Regeneration of Sitemap?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:31:17 AM »
Hello,

you should setup a cron job for this, usually this can be done in hosting control panel. The command line to execute is:
Code: [Select]
/usr/bin/php /path/to/your/generator/runcrawl.php
Thanks for Reply ...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:49:20 AM »
Hi Oleg ... thanks for the syntax. Am trying to get through to my portal support, as the on-line documentation indicates special permission is needed to run cron jobs. Go figure. Question: is there anyway into the config.inc.php file? Thanks in advance. dgp.
Cron Job Time-to-Execute ...
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 12:58:38 AM »
Hi Oleg ... NetNation.ca, which hosts my site, just got back to me re: cron job. There's a time limit of 30 seconds for a cron job. Is this sufficient time to build the site maps and so forth? Seems too brief to me, but I know next to nothing of such things. Right now, there's about 550 pages on my site, grubstreet.ca, with an average of 10 added a day. Thanks in advance. dgp
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 02:06:13 AM »
It might be enough in many cases, but that depends on the server. You can see the generation time in the crawling results box in generator interface.
A Last Question ... I Hope ...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 06:27:50 AM »
Hi Oleg ... am having a bit of difficultly learning to use Sitemap Generator, so I'd just like to clear up 1.5 concerns: as xs_freq is set to 'daily,' is a new sitemap generated each 24 hours or so? If yes, how can I tell when this process is run? I'll try not to bother you again, well, at least for a long while. Thanks for your patience, product and response. dgp
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:34:57 PM »
Hello,

as xs_freq is set to 'daily,' is a new sitemap generated each 24 hours or so?
No, it is not related to how often it is executed. By default it is executed manually only, for automatic generation you should setup a cron job (you will specify how often it should be executed in cron job settings).
One More Question ....
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:53:15 PM »
Hi Oleg ... one last question, I guess.  ;D How do I manually invoke Generator? I can't figure it out, at all. Ugh! ??? Thanks in advance.
Doesn't Exist ....
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:56:05 AM »
Had 4 people, in 4 different locations, on the planet, check [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ], where you directed me, for a "crawl" button or some such means to invoke creation of a revised site map for grubstreet.ca. Sadly, they nor I found such a thing. Moreover, the only mention of [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ], in the sparse documentation, which you sent me to, is an exemplar that uses a subdirectory named "folder." As you may recall, I paid $10 for you to set the software up. More need not be written. gp
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 02:17:15 AM »
Hello,

certainly, you should replace "domain.com" with your actual domain name. And as I see, sitemap has been generated correctly in your case:
Processing time:
10.57s
Pages indexed:
Sitemap files:
Pages size:
7.44Mb
Fix by Another, and Another Problem Appears ....
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 03:44:45 AM »
Don't know what's what, but index.php was sitting in the folder as index.ph

That cost me $20 USD to find out. A third set of eyes often sees what the first two can't.

Now, crawl stalls, for 2+ hours twice, at this point ...

Links depth: 1
Current page: articles/self-care/sc-immediacyattraction&self.htm
Pages added to sitemap: 60
Pages scanned: 60 (861.9 Kb)
Pages left: 21 (+ 622 queued for the next depth level)
Time passed: 0:01
Time left: 0:00
Memory usage: 588.7 Kb

Warning: set_time_limit(): Cannot set time limit in safe mode in /home/www/grubstreet/generator/pages/class.grab.inc.php on line 8

Other than adding login and password information, nothing was touched in the "config" file.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »
I, too, use FireFox 2.0.x and it stalls where it stalls, after 60 or so pages and .01 second. Could it be settings?
Brower Seems to Make No Difference ....
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
Tried WI 6.x and 7.0 and Netscape 8.2.x, programs stalls at same point. How did you get past password to run the program? Wonder about security.