Limiting PHP pages and maximizing HTML in catalog
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »
Problem:
Our site has currently about 2000 products.  The shopping cart (X-Cart) will create HTML only pages of the entire dbase and save them into a directory in the public area.  Unforturnatly, the generator will not find the HTML pages even with a direct link on the HTML home page linking to index.htm (HTML catalog) in the public root.   The generator will run thru the dynamic PHP pages in what seems to be an endless loop due to sorting many different ways which I don't want Google to see due to redundant information and keywordless addresses.  The site is setup with static HTML front side with links to the dynamic PHP store.

Need:
Generator needs to pass over all dynamic pages, PHP, products.php?cat= and the like.  It needs to include only the static HTML pages created by the shopping cart for which there is a direct link to.  These HTML pages will send the user directly to the dynamic part of the store when they add something to their cart or login.

I have tried to limit using the "do not parse" pages with the php coding, and include only URL's.  So far these static pages never get found.  In order for the static catalog pages to work, they must be in the shopping cart directory, otherwise the images don't appear, so I can't exclude the shopping cart directory.

Just a question, when I installed the generator, we had about 175 products plus about 20 HTML pages.  I set it to run on defaults and it found 3953 pages before I stopped it after an hour.  Is this normal?  And what would a search engine rank your pages at with each page duplicated 20 times?

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Limiting PHP pages and maximizing HTML in catalog
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:51:01 PM »
Hello,

yes, there are many duplicate pages produced by x-cart, here are the entries to reduce the number of those xtra links (should be added both for "Do not parse" and "Exclude URLs" options):
Code: [Select]
js=
sort=
printable=
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:58:54 PM »
Thanks,  all I need to do is just add the code that you provided in both "Do not parse" and "Exclude URL"?  I'll try  it.

Is there a way to exclude all of the dynamic pages and include only the HTML pages generated by X-cart?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:09:16 AM »
OK, I added the exclusions plus a couple more, cart= home=.  The sitemap is still only created by dynamic pages, which looks much better, but there are none of the html catalog pages being included.  X-cart generates the catalog in a sub directory like this in the public root /xcart/catalog/*.html.  It creates an index.html there also that is used to access the static pages.  The X-cart directory is not excluded in the configuration setup and a direct link to that catalog index.html exists on the root index.html page.

I need the generator to include the root HTML pages as I have working now and also the /xcart/catalog/ directory.

Thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:31:42 PM »
Hello,

you should add the link to your catalog somewhere on your pages (for instance, in the homepage's footer).
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:32:47 AM »
Hello,
We do have a text link on the index.html direct to the html catalog.  The generated xml file contains none of these catalog files.  All of the dynamic pages are found, with no duplicates along with the front side html.

If I had a choice, I would like to eliminate all the dynamic php files and include only html files in the sitemap.xml.  Second choice would be to include both.  Can one of these be accomplished?

Thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 11:48:55 PM »
Hello,

yes, it should be working fine. Please let me know your generator URL in private message.