Issues running on IIS7 with FastCGI
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »
Hi

I'm looking for help with the following

Background
Windows 2008 Server running IIS7. PHP running as FASTCGI (Zend) with increased timeouts.
Two licensed copies of unlimited XML sitemap generator (one bought years ago but just upgraded to most recent version, the other bought recently and also latest version)
Same user name and password being used for both copies

Issue 1
If I run a crawl on site1 then when I go to run a crawl on site2 I get 500 - Internal server error.
The error can be cleared by restarting the application pool of site1
If I run a crawl on site2 then when I go to run a crawl on site1 I get 500 - Internal server error.
The error can be cleared by restarting the application pool of site2

Issue 2
On site2 processing finishes after 1 or 2 seconds and no entries are recorded on the sitemap for site2 although there are thousands of (mostly dynamic) pages.

Issue 3
On both sites the updated ror.xml file is being generated inside the generator folder but the ror.xml file in the website root is not being updated.

any help/advice most appreciated,

thanks

Simon
Re: Issues running on IIS7 with FastCGI
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »
Hello,

in case of IIS server it might be needed to increase script running time as described on http://www.iisadmin.co.uk/?p=7.
What is an example URL that is not included in sitemap?
Make sure that you have allowed write access to ror.xml file.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:30 PM »
Hi Oleg

thanks for the reply.

I am using FastCGI on IIS7 and have already increased the timeouts by an order of magnitude as follows:

ActivityTimeout 300
IdelTimeout 300
RequestTimeout 900

(reset IIS after these changes)

site1 processes fine (except for getting a 500 error on trying to access generator/index.php on site2 after the processing on site1 has finished).

The differences are that site2 has about 3x the pages as site1 (~5,000 vs ~1,650). One other thing that I did not mention is that site2 uses the same url rewriting method as site1 but the rewritten urls do not have any file extensions. However, I have tried adding a static index.htm page to the root folder of site2 and even that is not indexed.

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] are examples of pages not indexed.

For testing I have allowed full access to the windows "Everyone" user to the ror.xml, stemap.xml, the generator folder and all subfolders and files.

really stuck

regards,
Simon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
Hello,

in case if generator stops with error 500 (which is caused by timeout in IIS), you can simply start generator again, resuming the process.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:58:03 PM »
Hi Oleg

the problem is not so straightforward. The generator completes on site1 but then when I go to run the other  generator on site2 there is a 500 error on accessing the index page - I cannot even log in. The only way I have found to clear this 500 error on site2 is to restart the other site - site1 which the generator has most recently run on.

regards,

Simon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
Hello,

may be you jsut have an opened session with the site, can you try closing and re-opening the browser?
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
Thanks but it is not that - tried opening and closing the browser. In fact I ran generator on site1 last night and shut down my pc when it was finished. Today I try to access generator on site2 and get the 500 error until I restart site1

regards,

Simon