Error 500 - Internal Server Error
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:05:44 AM »
Hello -

I am receiving the above error, whenever I run the XML Sitemap Generator script, either thru CRON, Website, or Command line.  The script run about 15 minutes, then displays the Error 500 - Internal Server Error.  The script continues to run and completes after running about 1 hour 30 minutes.  The files get generated, but it appears that I am missing data as far as pages being indexed, pages scanned, etc.  Can someone please assist and help me resolve this problem?  I am the Owner of my website, and running on a Dedicated Web Server, so I can change the various PHP parameters with no issues.  Here is my current configuration:

PHP - V5.6.32
max_execution_time=0
max_input_time=0
memory_limit=768M

XML Sitemap Generator - v7.2
Max Pages=0
Max Depth=0
Max Exec Time=0
Save Script every 90 seconds
Delay 10 seconds after every 100 requests

As I mentioned above, the script will run for about 15 minutes then generate the Error 500 - Internal Server Error.  But the script will continue and finish after 1 hour 30 minutes.  I've asked my Web Hosting Tech Support for assistance, and they do not see any issues from the Server.

Any assistance that can be provided to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.  I've seen several postings, but I have not seen any successful resolutions posted.

Thank you all for your time and assistance.
Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:37:17 AM »
Hello,

waht is the full output you get when running generator in command line?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
I am having a very similar problem on a first time run. I get the same error message but processing stops. After a time I can re-start from where it left off, I have done this maybe 15 times this afternoon. The site has arround 16,000 pages. It quickly got to 4000+ then stoped. After waiting for some time I am able to re-start the script. It indexes more (anything from 1-3000) then stops again. I got up to almost 10,000 indexed pages then it stopped and reverted to 4900. Again I brought it forward and got all the way to 12746 then it crapped out again. Upon re-starting is is back to 5570. I am trying to index a (paid) site on AwardSpace servers. I do not program and no little about PHP but installed this script as the site is already running PHP, you had good instructions, and the trial version of 500 pages worked perfectly. Have I wasted my money or can this be resolved?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »
Hello,

in this case I would recommend to run generator in command line if you have ssh access to your server.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »
I have no idea what you are talking about and have never even heard the term SSH access.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »
Hello,

please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
I have been trying to send this as a Private Message but cannot get it to work.

"please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this."

The site is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

Under no circumstances will I ever give out the site login to a third party.

After starting at just before midday yesterday and re-starting many times, well into the night, then one more time this morning, the script has finally completed. Or almost so as no text file was written but it was available under "View Sitemap" so I did it manually.

So far so good. That was the initial map generation. I have it set to re-index weekly and I will fix the 30 bad links it shows (less than expected) and should be able to upload one or two new directories before it next runs. Does the script generate new sitemap files each time or does it check for differences and modify the sitemap files? If the former then the problem will likely remain, if the latter it is possible I will get an uninterupted run.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
Then it appears that the problem will repeat. Are you going to come up with a solution? Or are you going to return my money so I can look elsewhere for a sitemap generator?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 04:47:50 AM »
According with documentation (https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/documentation-xml-sitemap-generator.html#sysreq):
> The memory size requirements (as well as the time required to complete sitemap generation) depends on the number of pages your website contains.

You would need to increase timeout settings on server side to allow the script run long enough in order to complete it in one step, or run multiple times resuming the process.