Command Line Benifits?
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:00:54 PM »
Good morning. I am rather new to this product and new to the forum. So if this is a duplicate question i am sorry.

What are the real benefits of running the script via command line?  I see it written that "For larger sites this helps". What does it help?

Also, how will I know it is complete? And if I close my command line, does it stop running?

And will running the command line prevent the PHP memory limits from being reached?

Sorry if i missed these answers elsewhere. If they are not out there, maybe a section within the documentation distributed with your script should include the benefits/problems/main info about this.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:03:15 PM by jeffconk »
Re: Command Line Benifits?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
Also, When I am running the script via command line and go to index.php?op=crawl via my browser I see some stats. These are the real time stats for the script that is running via the command line, correct? I am sure this is the case, but would like confirmation.

Thanks.
Re: Command Line Benifits?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 11:52:29 PM »
Hello,

usually PHP interpreted executed in command line uses a different configuration comparing to Apache PHP module, including less restrictive memory limit and maximum execution time. This also allows to eliminate possible issue with browser timeout.

If you append "&" sign in command line, it means running the command in background and in most cases it will be running even if you close your shell window.

Also, When I am running the script via command line and go to index.php?op=crawl via my browser I see some stats. These are the real time stats for the script that is running via the command line, correct? I am sure this is the case, but would like confirmation.
Yes, that's right.