Generator is running slowly and becomes unresponsive...
« on: July 06, 2023, 02:56:02 AM »
Suddenly, my PHP Sitemap Generator started to run slowly and became unresponsive. It will only crawl a dozen or two pages before it becomes unresponsive. The generator takes 2-3 seconds to crawl each page. At first, I thought it might be something to do with the hosting plan (GoDaddy). I found the PHP version was outdated (7.4.33), so I updated it to 8.2.7. That didn't fix it. I reinstalled the latest version of the generator, but still no luck. I contacted GoDaddy support, but they said that nothing was wrong with the server. Any ideas on why, after over five years of running smoothly, my sitemap generator would stop functioning correctly?
Re: Generator is running slowly and becomes unresponsive...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 04:44:21 AM »
Hello, 

in this case I would recommend to run generator in command line if you have ssh access to your server.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 04:34:08 PM »
The website is running on a shared Windows host, so no SSH. I tried a web cron, but it 404'd.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 04:47:49 AM »
The only solution would be to run it again resuming the process, or limit the number of indexed pages using "Maximum pages" setting.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 12:19:04 AM »
I wanted to see if the Maximum pages setting would help, so I logged in to my generator, changed the max settings and then went to the Create Sitemap tab and it was blank (see attachment). Any ideas on what might have cause it and how to fix it?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 12:18:09 AM »
What would be the optimal memory setting?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2023, 04:50:54 PM »
The site has around 1.5K of crawlable pages. I tried 256 and 0 for max memory but have seen no improvement.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 03:31:24 PM »
I uninstalled/reinstalled the sitemap generator and configured it per the original documented setup. I then proceeded to change the PHP settings in the Plesk UI. The generator was initially using PHP ver. 7.2.34 went it stopped working on 7/3/23. It was brought to my attention by a GoDaddy tech that my site was using an outdated version of PHP. I then changed it to the latest version (8.2.8), and the generator still did not work correctly. I then uninstalled/reinstalled the sitemap generator again and configured it per the original documented setup. I then started to test the different PHP versions beginning with the most current (8.2.8), which didn't work. I then tried versions 8.1.21 and 8.0.29. When I used PHP version 7.4.33, the generator started to work correctly again.