I would like to create a sitemap.xml file for all of my webpages (40,000) within a certain folder. The only problem is that my sitemap.html that links to all of the pages within this folder is located outside of the folder.

Thus, all 40,000 of my web pages are listed at [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]....com/sitemap.html. All the pages listed on this sitemap.html are located in the folder [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]....com/database/

Due to the way my website software is configured, I can not place the sitemap.html within this folder. So, how do I tell Generator to build a sitemap.xml file for all the files within a certain folder that are listed on my sitemap.html?   ???

Thanks for the help.
Re: GENERATOR PROBLEM: Build a sitemap for all pages in a certain folder
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:53:49 PM »
Hello,

you can specify ../sitemap.html as a Starting URL and in case if you have no links outside database/ folder in it, you should have all required links indexed in sitemap.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »
I tried this first and your software sees / scans all 40,000 URLs, but does not include them in the sitemap.xml. I even tried specifying in the "include only" section "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]....com/database/" but that did not help.

Any other suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 03:23:31 AM »
Hello,

please check with our search engine robots simulator that your database/ pages do not have disallowing robots tags or any other points that restrict them from being indexed.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 08:51:36 PM »
Thanks. I was eventually able to get it to view all the pages. It hung every 3 minutes, so I had to restart it constantly. Took 4 days to complete because of the amount of times I had to restart it!

Now, 4 days later, I go to see the sitemap.xml and I see the following error message:

Warning: file(/home/content/n/a/n/nanovation69/html/generator/data/sitemap.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/n/a/n/nanovation69/html/generator/pages/class.utils.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 40

Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in /home/content/n/a/n/nanovation69/html/generator/pages/class.utils.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 40

What needs to be done to fix this?
Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »
As a quick follow up, I gave sitemap.xml 666 permissions and the /data/ folder 777 permissions before starting, so I know that's not the problem.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »
Unfortunately, the web pages in that directory are dynamically created from a database and are not "available" for giving permissions. Any other suggestions?