Can't view sitemap
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »
Hi,

I've just installed the standalone xml sitemap generator and done a crawl, but I have a few problems.

1. I only want an xml sitemap, so I deselected all the other choices and saved this (changing the permissions on the config.php file back to 666 so I could amend these), but it is still producing text, html and ror sitemaps. (Are ROR and text sitemaps recommended?)

2. I am getting a notification email, but when I click on the link to view any of the sitemaps it comes up via google as a broken link and the sitemap and ror.xml files that I created as per the instructions are still empty (these are in the generator folder and not the data folder). I have tried to view through [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] too but still get broken links.

In my configuration I have an error which is:
Sitemap file is not writable: /var/www/vhosts/postapresent.co.uk/httpdocs/generator/sitemap.xml.gz
(I don't understand what the var/www/vhosts is all about). This is what defaulted in the Save sitemap box.

However, I tried to change it to the path I think it should be which is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and that came up as 'not writable' too and I have tried various options but no joy.

My starting url is: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
My Sitemap url is: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

I have probably configured it wrong somewhere but cannot see what I've done, so any help would be appreciated. (I do have a couple of other little queries,  but need to get it working first).

Thanks

Helen

Re: Can't view sitemap
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »
you need to change the permissions.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:39:29 PM »
Hello,

since you have enabled gzip compression option, you should manually create empty file named "sitemap.xml.gz" in domain root and set 0666 permissions to it.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »
sitemap.ror , sitemap.xml.gz , sitemap.gz is that the same thing?
I uploaded sitemap.ror
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:47:31 AM »
Hi,

I changed all the permissions as per the instructions that came with the Generator, so not sure what permissions I need to do now?

Also, I hear what you are saying about the gzip and I already tried that too, because I wondered if that was the reason, but I still get it as unwriteable.  Any combination I try comes back as unwriteable.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »
Hi,

I contacted my hosting company and they made the config.php writeable. The instructions said to put it back to 644, but that seemed to be stopping it. Also the path was not obvious and is:
/var/www/vhost/yoursite/httpdocs (or public)/sitemap/xml

All seems to be working now thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:14:31 PM »
> All seems to be working now thanks

I'm glad you got it working!

You should revert permissions for config.inc.php file to 0644 once you have all configuration options set and no further modification in config is required. That will set your config file to read-only mode.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:38:01 PM »
I will try that again, but it seemed that was why it wasn't working. When they put the permissions to 666 it seem to write okay.

thanks