Can someone please explain Step 3 of the 4 steps for generating the sitemap using the Free Online Sitemap Generator as given in the XML-Sitemaps.com homepage?
Step 3: "You will see the generated sitemap details page, including number of pages, broken links list, XML file content and link to a compressed sitemap. Download the sitemap file using this link and put it into the "public_html/" folder of your site."
Here is what I did:
1) Generated the codes according to Step 2
2) Copied the codes and pasted into Dreamweaver; named and saved the file as "sitemap.xml"
3) Confirmed the sitemap file was at my root folder of my website in my PC
4) Went to Filezilla (FTP software). Found the sitemap file was at the Local folder; transferred the sitemap file from Local to Remote folder, thereby transferring the sitemap to my host server
5) Went into my Google Webmaster Tools and submitted the sitemap to Google
There seems to be some error somewhere as the attached screenshot shows
[external links are visible to admins only]
Did I do something wrong? Doesn't 'put it in the "public_html/ " folder of your site' mean a normal FTP process? Is there a simpler way?