PROBLEM SOLVED so I include details for anybody else who is trying to use
the generator for add-on domains.
I've been trying to figure out what is happening.
1. I deleted generator.conf from the site, then configured and saved the file again
without a password. Then I set the permissions on the new file to 666 and
downloaded it to my computer. Then I opened default.conf and generator.conf side
by side in Notepad.
The first thing I noticed was that a password is inserted, even though I left that line
Next I noticed that the path to my files was
That's a possible problem because that path doesn't exist.
I'm using an add-on domain, which is set so that / means
So I tried changing it to
but the form just resets itself to the old setting.
Do I have to place Generator in the root domain to make it work? If so, would I be unable to use it for more than one add-on domain?
1. I opened Filezilla in the root domain instead of my addon demain, and transferred Generator. (incidentally, the case matters, so generator is not Generator)
2. I created blank ror.xml, sitemap.xml, sitemap.txt (this was a mistake) and sitemap.html files in public_html/addondomain/
3. I changed their permissions to 666 then changed the data directory permissions to 777.
4. I browsed to [external links are visible to admins only] and up came the configuration page.
5. Starting URL: appeared as rootdomain.info, so I changed it to addondomain.info.
6. Save sitemap to: I changed to
7. Your Sitemap URL: I changed to [external links are visible to admins only]
8. HTML Sitemap filename I changed to
9. I crawled the site and everything worked, except for the sitemap.html which gave me a server error message.
10. That was using Filezilla for my root domain, and the new files showed nicely. So I closed that domain, and opened my addon domain and nothing showed. However when I closed Filezilla, and re-opened it, the new files showed in my addon domain.
11. The sitemap.html was there OK, but it still generated a server error. So I downloaded it to my computer, deleted the file onsite, and uploaded it again. It worked. So I don't know what was the glitch.
12. The config page still insists on putting in a password, so I suppose I had better use one instead of the default one.
All the problems except the password one, were caused by my domain being an addon domain. Many people have addon domains, so it might be good to include something about them in the instructions.