Web sitemap
« on: August 05, 2005, 08:36:27 AM »
Hello all!
Just a question about the sitemap..
Do I have to physically place any codes or html on my website's index page? ???
I did the uploading of the sitemap.xml to my public_html on my server so, all I don't know is, do I have anything else I need to do?  I am getting a ok for all my sites I submitt to the "My Sitemaps"
Thank you
Have a GREAT Day!
Georgianna
Re: Web sitemap
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 01:29:02 AM »
Hi Georgianna,

you did all that is required :) - created sitemap, uploaded it and pinged google (added it in webmaster account)
The xml sitemap is for search engine bots only and you have them informed about it.

wbr, Oleg
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 09:27:23 PM »
I am a bit confused on this....

I have a basic sitemap.html on my site. Once we add this sitemap.xml and submit to google, is it not a good idea to also have a html sitemap page for the site? It would seem to be a duplicate of information and I wonder if it would cause the site to be downgraded for duplicate data.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:22:30 PM »
Hi,

no-no. Sitemap.html is ok and suggested! There is no need to link to sitemap.xml on your pages.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 05:48:25 PM »
Here comes another newbie question ???
I have a lot of sub domains. Some of the sub domains are page ranked. Do  I need to create a new file for each sub domain?
I tried just using the main url but the site map doesn't go right thru the site to include all the subdomains and all the related links etc.
Any clues anyone ::)
Thanks
Ken
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 09:43:03 PM »
Hi Ken,

according to Google Sitemap Protocol, the sitemap file cannot contain URLs from different (sub)domains. So, you should create a separate sitemap for each of your domains.