Broken links bug
« on: November 09, 2006, 01:23:39 AM »
Hi, I just installed the latest version of Sitemap Generator, and it reports a broken link which should not be reported.

The javascript string that Sitemap Generator is flaging as a broken link is generated by a link directory program and is not new! The code was the same before, and it was not reported.

Here is the answer I received from the link directory software support:

"This appears to be a problem with the software you are using to check
for broken links. The "link" it is flagging as being broken is not
actually a link - it is link code within a javascript string. Because
it is within a javascript string, there is a slash before each
quotation mark in the string - that is how a quotation mark is
represented in a javascript string. The link checker you're using
doesn't appear to take this (very unusual) case into account and
thinks that it is looking at a regular link, which it is not. So,
there is no problem in the code for that page."

This is the code that it is flaging:  "<a href=\"[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"> and the \ is what it shows as a broken link to my home page which it shows the url as: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] notice the double trailing slash in the URL.

I like the ror sitemap so I would rather not just install the older version instead. Can this be fixed?

Thank you,

Scott
Re: Broken links bug
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 06:35:44 AM »
Hello Scott,

you can simply ignore these entries in broken links list then, they are not included into sitemap anyway.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »
Okay, I can ignore the broken link.

But now I have 2 other problems, One is in my google sitemaps account it said my sitemap was blank. I checked it and it looks fine, I don't know what the problem is!

Second my cron is not running the crawl as it should. Again I don't know what the problem is! Could you check this for me Please?

Thank you,

Scott
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:00:05 PM »
Hello Scott,

1. what is exactly the message you got in google account and what is your sitemap URL?
2. Please try to execute the same command directly in command line and see if there are any errors.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 03:42:03 AM »
Hi Admin,

The google sitemap account error said something about a blank sitemap. When I checked again, now it says everything is fine, google checked it an hour ago!

I don't know how to execute the same command directly in command line! How do I do that? When I run the crawl myself it works no problem. Only my cron doesn't run it!

Could it be my crawl.php chmod permissions are wrong?

Thank you,

Scott
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:18:59 AM »
The google sitemap account error said something about a blank sitemap. When I checked again, now it says everything is fine, google checked it an hour ago!
Great - so, I'm assuming that the problem is gone now?
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 12:48:25 AM »
Hi Admin,

I still cannot run Sitemap Generator with my cron. And I don't know to fix it! I will email you the info so maby you can look at it!

Thank you,

Scott
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »
Hi Oleg,

Thank you for checking and fixing the installation of Sitemap Generator. Everything is working great! Sitemap Generator is excellent and keeps getting better!

Sincerely,

Scott