Problems with Generator
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:27:42 PM »
I have installed he generator, set all the permissions, etc.  I can see the home page and save the configuration.

When I click on Crawling tab I get this:

Please wait. Sitemap generation in progress...
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

I had paid for the installation service, but decided to give it a go on my own.  It seemed easy to install and I don't understand why I am having issues with it.  I have already re-installed it about 3 times trying to get it to work.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:29:55 PM by dawnbluemoon »
Re: Problems with Generator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:02:32 AM »
Thanks for your email.  I sent them your notice and this is the email I got in return:

Hello Alicia,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We would like to inform you that the max_execution_time is 30 seconds on our server and neither this, nor the memory_limit on your account can be increased as it's part of the account you are hosted on.

Regards,

Richard
Netfirms Inc.
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

What can I do?  I didn't see anything about this in the necessary specs before buying the program.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:20:48 PM »
Hello,

Do you have SSH access to your host? It would be possible to execute the script in command line .

this is specified in system requirements: https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/documentation-xml-sitemap-generator.html
The memory size requirements (as well as the time required to complete sitemap generation) depends on the number of pages your website contains.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »
I do have SSH access.  However, I am not familiar with how to use it.  How do I execute the script through the command line?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:03:33 PM »
Exact comand line is displayed on the Crawling page, it looks like:
/usr/local/bin/php /path/to/generator/runcrawl.php
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
I am getting the message that there is no file or directory by that name when I use PuTTY with my login information and enter the command line given to me on the Crawling page. 
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
I am no longer getting the 404 page when I try to run the generator.  However, it now quits running after scanning the first page and just sits there.  I am getting this after letting it run over night.:

Links depth: 1
Current page: /
Pages added to sitemap: 1
Pages scanned: 1 (39.6 Kb)
Pages left: 43 (+ 0 queued for the next depth level)
Time passed: 0:18
Time left: 13:11
Memory usage: 618.4 Kb

I have even told it not to interrupt the process.