XML Sitemaps Generator

Author Topic: domain name vs www.domain name  (Read 31454 times)

xoguy

domain name vs www.domain name
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:41:38 AM »
Why does the sitemap for domain.com differ from www.domain.com?

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
Re: domain name vs www.domain name
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »
Hello,

Sitemap Generator doesn't include links to www. and non-www domains in the same sitemap as it is disallowed by google sitemap protocol, since they are considered technically different domains.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com
Send me a Private Message

For maximum exposure and traffic for your web site check out our additional SEO Services.

xoguy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 10:08:09 AM »
I understand that www.domain.com is technically different from domain.com, but I'm still not sure why when I generate my sitemap for www.domain.com and compare it to the sitemap for domain.com that they are different (one gives errors, the other not, one includes more pages while one "missed" some pages).

Any ideas?

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »
Hello,

because sitemap generated for domain.com includes ONLY the pages linked to domain.com/.. and sitemap generated for www.domain.com includes ONLY the pages linked to www.domain.com/..
So, if you have link like <a href="http://www.domain.com/page.html">x</a>, it will be included in one sitemap, but not in another.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

For maximum exposure and traffic for your web site check out our additional SEO Services.

xoguy

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:13:14 PM »
Okay.

I created a website but my host does not give me options (that I know of) of what goes where. I have my basic FTP directory where all my files go. I don't (seem to have) more control than that.

You say that "sitemap generated for domain.com includes ONLY the pages linked to domain.com/.. and sitemap generated for www.domain.com includes ONLY the pages linked to www.domain.com/.. "

Okay, but what am I to do as an end user? I used to think everything I FTP'ed went to domain.com and then was simply via cname also available under www.domain.com. If the LINKS are different, how do I control those or even begin to understand how to get which links under which - either www or without?? Can you understand my delema here - I still have some pages "missing" depending on what I give Google under sitemap generator - either with or without the www and I am trying to find out how I got my pages so mixed up -  NO, I am trying to figure out how to get Google to find all my pages.????

Hope you can help (and thanks for your clear answers thus far - I appreciate that.)

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 01:05:12 AM »
Hello,

please send me (via Private Message) your website URL and a few example links that are not included in sitemap.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
XHTML RSS WAP2