XML Sitemaps Generator

Author Topic: Generating a list from a domain web involving a different domain name page  (Read 12081 times)

buy1or2

• Approved member
I'm exploring the free version using my websites 'buy1or2.com' and 'paw-things.com'.

Context: I started off years ago with 'buy1or2.com'. A couple of years later a specific groups of products had materialised (things for dogs!) so I created the domain 'paw-things.com'.

Altogether, buy1or2.com consists of 100+ pages; paw-things.com is one page.

All the pages are entirely html (no javascript nor anything else) and all are linked from the website home page (within a click or two).

I'm trying the generator both with and without the 'www' in the url (for what it's worth, I'm getting the same results for both).

Here's my problem:

On the buy1or2.com index page I have links to five different products and a link to the group of 'doggie' products.

The sitemap generator correctly generates a list of pages of the five different products. The 'arriving' page for the group of 'doggie' products is the paw-things.com page so, correctly, that page isn't listed. My problem is that the product pages linked from the paw-things.com 'arriving' page are all buy1or2.com pages.

Noticing that the generated list wasn't including any pages linked from paw-things.com, as a test I used the generator on the url of one of these 'un-located' sub-folders - [external links are visible to admins only]. The sitemap generator generated a list of 60 pages.

Some of the 60 pages are within the '4u' folder. Many of them are not in that folder (or its sub-folders). For example, here are two items from the generated list:

<url>
  <loc>[external links are visible to admins only]</loc>
  <lastmod>2010-03-24T19:53:24+00:00</lastmod>
</url>
<url>
  <loc>[external links are visible to admins only]</loc>
  <lastmod>2010-03-24T18:36:14+00:00</lastmod>
</url>

The first item is within the '4u' folder; the second item is not.

I then tried another sub-folder - [external links are visible to admins only] - whose pages hadn't been included in the [external links are visible to admins only] list; this time the generator only listed files within that folder.

Can anyone explain these apparently-confusing result inconsistencies, please.

But this is my big question:

I want to generate a list which includes all the buy1or2.com pages (I realise it will exclude the paw-things.com page). Is there any way I can do this?

I realise I could rename all the pages which link from the paw-things.com 'arrival' page with paw-things.com names and assemble two site maps, one for buy1or2.com and another for paw-things.com. However many of my buy1or2.com pages (which would/could more sensibly now be under the paw-things.com domain) have high visibility in Google searches and I don't want to risk them disappearing!

Thanks for any help.

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
You should make sure that all links on the site are pointing to the same domain, otherwise thet cannot be included in the same sitemap.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com
Send me a Private Message

For maximum exposure and traffic for your web site check out our additional SEO Services.

buy1or2

• Approved member
OK. Thanks.

I've duplicated the single file which has a different domain name and used the duplicated file (which I've named in the same domain as the remainder of the web) within the web; all pages are now indexed in the site map.

At least, they are when I run a non-www generated list (ie, buy1or2.com).

When I run a www generated list (ie, [external links are visible to admins only]) the list displays just 27 entries (the 26 it was generating yesterday plus one for the newly 'duplicated' page referred to above).

(Question: Am I understanding correctly that the non-www generated list include www's, where a www generated list doesn't include non-www's?)

Reading this forum I know you're going to tell me to rationalise all the links to be non-www. However, I can't find any links which include 'www'; quite what is it I'm looking for, to change? For example, I see that on page [external links are visible to admins only] I have a link to '../index.html'. Is this somehow converting into being [external links are visible to admins only] for the site map? If this is so, and if this is the issue, what should I change it to?

Don't know much, do I!

SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
XHTML RSS WAP2