XML Sitemaps Generator

Author Topic: What to include  (Read 13768 times)

kid

• Approved member
What to include
« on: October 14, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
I just finished crawling my forum a few times, using differant exclusions. My question is, is it better to include as much as possible, or I should I exclude all but the most relevant topics. Like most forums, I have an anything goes section, that sees a majority of the posting. The topics are not relevant to my site content, so I excluded those topics. After doing this, I went from over 600 pages indexed, down to 44. I imagine a bigger footprint in Google will get better traffic?

Site info:
[external links are visible to admins only]
runs on SMF

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
Re: What to include
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:08:55 PM »
Hello,

I would include all topics in sitemap, it won't hurt your other pages. But I'd recommend to apply SMF URLs exclusion preset (that is built-in in generator) to avoid crawling of noise content pages.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com
Send me a Private Message

For maximum exposure and traffic for your web site check out our additional SEO Services.

kid

• Approved member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
Thanks. I found the filter for SMF, and it knocked about 4ooo useless URL's from list(login pages and whatnot) Is there anyway to block certain words from showing in a site map? Being a forum, my top crawled keywords are post, reply, quote, etc. Obviously I use revelent keywords in my meta tags, but I believe Google gives a lot of weight to waht is crawled.

Hello,

I would include all topics in sitemap, it won't hurt your other pages. But I'd recommend to apply SMF URLs exclusion preset (that is built-in in generator) to avoid crawling of noise content pages.

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »
Hello,

you can only filter the indexed pages by URL, i.e. enter the common part of the link in "Exclude URLs" setting and it will be skipped when crawling.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com
Send me a Private Message

For maximum exposure and traffic for your web site check out our additional SEO Services.

kid

• Approved member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Hello,

you can only filter the indexed pages by URL, i.e. enter the common part of the link in "Exclude URLs" setting and it will be skipped when crawling.

SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
XHTML RSS WAP2