Error opening socket - unable to generate sitemap
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
Currently unable to generate a site map with the standalone version, whereras the free version seemed to run without problem.

Thanks,
N.

An error occured
There was an error while retrieving the URL specified: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]/
Error message: Error opening socket to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
HTTP headers follow:

HTTP output

Re: Error opening socket - unable to generate sitemap
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »
Hello,

please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Hi All

I am having the same problem so i contacted my server suppliers and got this response:-

The problem here is that mode 777 is not allowed on our shared servers so when the connection is being made the process is failing and producing an error. You will need to contact the company providers to see if this will run with the lower permission 644 as there is no way to allow 777.

Is there anything i can do?

I have got them to give me the necessary permissions but I still get the same result what can I do

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:07:01 PM by sales1043 »
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
Hi

All permissions are correct, I contacted the server suppliers and said:-

Hi All

I have purchased a site map generator and it sends the error :-

There was an error while retrieving the URL specified: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Error message: Error opening socket to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

I have given it all the permissions asked for part of the requirements are below:-

The PHP XML generator will work with PHP 4.3.x or higher in default configuration in Apache web-
server environment.
Sitemap generator connects to your website via http port 80, so your host should allow local network
connections for php scripts (this is default configuration)

Can you advise me what to do?

regards

Frank

Their reply was :-

Hi Frank,

Thanks for contacting us.

From the details you have provided all these option are available on our site.

Thank you.

I Have downloaded and uploaded the generator twice given all the correct permissions but I still get the same fault.

which is :-

There was an error while retrieving the URL specified: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

What it the exact file setup on the server I have everything in a generator folder except sitemap and the ror file which is in the public_html (site root) folder.

Regards

Frank

can anyone help I am beginning to think that I have wasted the cost of the software
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
Unfortunately I have arrived at the same conclusion and have effectively abdoned this route and software for providing a site map. Currently, a re-drafted version of the free map now resides on my site.

All in all a very poor expereince and not one I will repeat.

Rgds,
N.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
Hello,
All permissions are correct, I contacted the server suppliers and said:-
I've specified your server IP address in generator configuration and it works now.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
Thank you, very kind.

But I have just run the Crawler and got:

There was an error while retrieving the URL specified: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]/
HTTP headers follow:

HTTP output:

Which seems depressingly familiar.
N

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »
Brilliant It works fine now well done.

Now for next time when I put the generator on a clients website how do I do what you did as I can't see where to enter an IP address.

Regards

Frank
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
Hello,
But I have just run the Crawler and got:
please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.

Now for next time when I put the generator on a clients website how do I do what you did as I can't see where to enter an IP address.
It's in advanced settings block (which is collapsed by default)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your help all ok now.

Regards

Frank