I am trying to build a sitemap for a site with about 700+html pages, 6K+ forum page (vBulletin) and 500+ e-store pages (x-cart). When I try to build the map, xml-site generator finds 50K plus pages to crawl and it never finished the map. Last time I looked, it has found 20K pages, and thought it had 60K to go. The more pages it crawls, the more it finds to crawl. Is google having the same problem with us?
Checking Google site: search, it finds 20K plus pages, which include a generated bookstore that I stopped using and deleted well over a year ago.
Still, while those pages are cached somewhere, they are not on my website.
What do you think I am doing wrong?
1. Why all those pages to crawl?
2. Why does the list grow and the sitemap never finish?
3. Why does Google find 20K+ pages that were delete a long time ago?
4. When you click on one of the site: search pages, it is a bad link. How can I fix that?
5. Are these old pages and bad links damaging my SE ranking?
Thanks for any help on this.