.htaccess prohibited file name
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »
I've follow the installation instructions and everything went smoothly except for one item. When uploading the files to the server the .htaccess file failed to upload due to  a 'prohibited file name'.

When I try to log onto the generator configuration page by entering the equivalent of mywebsite.com/generator into my browser all I get is an http 500 server error page.

Any help in resolving the problem would be most appreciated.
Re: .htaccess prohibited file name
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »
I've done as you suggested and set the generator folder permissions to 755 but nothing has changed. I still get the prohibited file name message when I try to upload the .htaccess file. I'm using WS-FTP to upload the files, but have also tried uploading it to my site using Yahoo's direct 'easy upload' method, but both give the same error message.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »
Hello,

It looks like your host doesn't support PHP language though (which is required). Could you please check that with your hosting support?

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »
It seems as though the host (Yahoo) may be the problem as you suggested. I don't know what php is and don't understand some of what they say about it, but on this site, [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] , if what I can comprehend is correct, it indicates that the .htaccess file can't be used.

Is there any way around this so that I can still use the sitemap generator?

If not, can you please refund my payment?
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
Hello,

.htaccess file is optional and is not required to run sitemap generator. It will work fine as long as PHP is supported by the host.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:46:04 PM »
A few days ago I sent you a PM about the problem and included a link to the page where Yahoo (my website host) says that they support PHP, with some exceptions. The generator still doesn't work - I still get the HTTP 500 error.

Could you please get back to me with some suggestion as to how the problem can be resolved?

Cheers,
Stephanie Jackson
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:19:24 PM »
I've been trying to contact Yahoo for the last couple of weeks to get the problem resolved but they have not replied to even one of my almost daily email messages and have no phone number on which their Customer Care section can be contacted. It looks as though I simply won't be able to use the sitemap generator, which is very disappointing, but thanks for all your support. It's a shame that a large company like Yahoo doesn't provide the same quality of support to its customers as you do.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 06:56:44 AM »
Good news at last! I had conceded defeat in relation to setting up my sitemap, but this morning I decided to give it one more try. I spent some time hunting around on the internet and came across an item relating to problems people were having with some sitemaps used in conjunction with Wordpress. Although Wordpress is not associated with my website, I thought I'd have nothing to lose by giving the seemingly simple solution a go. And it miraculously worked. I have no idea why, but I'm sure you'll understand the logic behind this simple fix.

All I had to do was to create a file named php.ini  and enter the text 'memory=20MB'into it and upload the file to my site and the problem was instantly fixed.

Once again, thanks for your support with this issue.

Stephanie Jackson
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]