Attributes: Last Modification Setting
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
On the Configuration page for the Sitemap Generator, the "Attributes" tab allows user to choose, "Use server's response " as one of the options. In the help screen the following is given:

"Sitemap Entry Attributes Section
Last modification
The time the URL was last modified. It is recommended to use "Server's response" for "Last modification" field. In this case the entries for static pages will be filled with their real last modification time, while for dynamic pages the current time is used."

I selected this default setting of "Use server's response". However, after running the generator, the sitemap.xml file created by the generator was filled with the current date and time for all the files on my website rather than the actual last modified date and time. Could you please help me to correct this issue? Thank you.
Re: Attributes: Last Modification Setting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
After searching thru the forum, I found that many others are having this same problem.
The moderator usually asked, what is the URL for the sitemap?
A: golden-puppies.com

The moderator usually asked, are the pages dynamic or static?
A: all are static

Here is some output contained in the sitemap.xml file (notice all have same date and time):
<!-- created with Standalone Sitemap Generator www.xml-sitemaps.com (47901) -->

<url>
       <loc>[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]</loc>
       <lastmod>2018-08-27T15:30:46+00:00</lastmod>
       <changefreq>daily</changefreq>
       <priority>1.0000</priority>
  </url>
  <url>
       <priority>0.8000</priority>
  </url>
  <url>
  </url>
  <url>
  </url>
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:15:37 PM by 001-jlm »
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 05:12:52 AM »
Here is a screen shot of my FTP client showing the "last modified date" of the files in the sitemep.xml  As you can see, it is showing the actual modified date which also agrees with the date/time of these same files on on my local desktop computer where I have the files backed up locally. But the screenshot is from the webhosted server.
So, I do think it is providing that, but your generator perhaps is not grabbing it from the right place. I am not sure what you want me to do with the links you gave in your last post. Is that something you have tried already?

Thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
Okay, I reached out to my web hosting service about this issue and they gave the following response:

"Please provide us with more detailed information and if the author has any recommendations as server-side configurations we have to make so we can check if they are possible on our hosting environment as currently from the results you have provided we do not see any errors or warnings that we can investigate. If the Author has any recommendations on the changes that have to be made will be something that we can work on to assist you with your current issue, however, we will need more information in order to provide the correct assistance."

Can you provide any help on what the hosting service needs to do on their end? Thanks.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 04:51:33 AM »
Hello,

as long as the file owner ID is the same as the user ID running the script, 644 permissions is ok and there is no need to change that.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
Oleg, you posted your answer to the wrong thread. Your answer above goes to the other thread called "File Attributes" Could you please read my previous posts in this thread and provide some recommendations? Thank you.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
Hello,

the last-modified date must be included as http header in response sent by the server, not the date shown in FTP manager.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 06:32:42 PM »
Oleg,

Here is the response from my Web Hosting Service:

"Thank you for the update. We are unable to assist you on the matter as it is related to the SEO and web development of your website, however, if you provide us with a step by step instructions on the required procedure, we promise you that we will try to do the necessary change."

Can you assist in providing detailed information on what they need to do to make the last modified date and time work correctly? Or, at least maybe you can suggest some steps or places for them to look? Thank you.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »
Honestly, I do not understand why the FTP client is showing the "Modified" date correct for all the files on the server (which it gets those dates and times FROM the server) BUT the Stand Alone Sitemap Generator cannot get those dates and times, but instead just substitutes the current time... This makes no sense. If my FTP client is getting the correct date and time for last modified, can't your program do the same?
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 07:08:41 AM »
Hello,

sitemap generator doesn't have use file access, it sends requests to your website similar to search engine bots or a browser.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »
You said, ...sends to your website..."
The stand alone version of the generator is installed on my website, what "sending" are you talking about? It seems to me If I have scripts installed on my server, it would naturally give them use file access. Plus, if you make an option where the user can enter his username and password for FTP access, the dates and times can be read. You don't even need an FTP client. It can be done quite easily. This just seems weird to me. My hosting service is FastComet which hosts over 50,000 websites worldwide. Do you think they do not know how to configure their servers?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:29:56 AM by 001-jlm »
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
Hello,

this is described in the documentation:
https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/documentation-xml-sitemap-generator.html#sysreq
Sitemap generator connects to your website via http port 80, so your host should allow local network connections for php scripts
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 03:32:26 AM »
Is there a way to set the time zone difference between the generator script and the host server time zone?