Installation in easier words
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:55:41 PM »
Hi All!

Note: please check our Step-by-step Sitemap Generator Installation Guide

These few steps described may help you in installation :)

1. You can create a folder "generator/" under your root public_html folder and extract archive contents there.
2. After unpacking you will enter this folder and set permissions for "generator/data/" folder.
3. Then create an empty "sitemap.xml" file in the root public_html folder and set permissions to it as well.
4. After that you will open the script in browser by going to www.yourdomain.com/generator/
5. There is the documentation page with other details in the archive.
Re: Installation in easier words
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 04:52:07 PM »
Sorry to be such a newbie, but are there any easier words than these to explain the installation?  I opened the download, and have uploaded all of the enclosed files to my server (I assume that is what unpacking is?)  I have a folder called "sitemap" on my server where I put them.  Now I'm stuck.  If I try to view the config.inc.php page it doesn't have anything on it when it's on the server although I can open it on the desktop in TextEdit and see the info there.  I can't figure out where/how to set permissions and where to set the configurations.  Most of the pages if I try to look at them on the server are blank.  My site is hosted with Yahoo.  I have an XML file already on the server that I generated online, but I'd like to be run my whole site.  I don't know anything about writing scripts so a lot of these instructions don't make sense to me.  I know how to upload files, and I can recognize the settings in the XML file, but I'm not sure how to get started.

Thanks if you can help!
Lara

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 04:57:13 PM »
Hi Lara,

the file permissions are set by any FTP client (the same that you use toupload the files).
Then you should open the main generator page:
http://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap/
And follow the instructions inside :)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 09:58:46 AM »
Hi,

Just bought and uploaded the script but when I run it i get a parse error on line 2 of the index.php file.

Anyone any ideas why?

Dave
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 11:47:04 AM »
Hi Dave,

hmm.. please let me know in PM the URL of your generator instance.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 08:51:13 PM »
Hi,

Another newbie here :)

I am pretty sure I'm going to need to get someone (a friend) to help me with setting this up, as I don't understand most of it.

When I extracted the program from the zip, it made it's own folder called sitemap_gen-1.2.
I then put that folder with it's contents in my root directory where my site is online (the same place as my index.html file). Should I have taken those files out of that folder and instead created a new folder called generator that you mention above, and placed them in there? Or does that matter?
Also, I keep seeing the file called config.inc.php being mentioned. But I don't seem to have this file. Is it one that should have been in the zip? Here's the files that I received.

AUTHORS
 COPYING
 ChangeLog
 PKG-INFO
 README 
 example_config.xml 
 example_urllist.txt
 setup.py 
 sitemap_gen.py
 test_sitemap_gen.py

I am completly lost with the instructions about setting permissions (where do you do that, on the files in this program, or where we have are sites hosted?). On the example_config.xml do I just replace my site url  in the information and then rename to something else and save it into that folder?

I think this program is a great idea, but would love if it was as easy to operate as your online one where we just enter our site url :)

Thanks,

Jackie
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 09:10:25 PM »
I just noticed the topic regarding the possibility of you installing the program for a fee. I would have posted there, but it is a locked topic. Is this still an option? If so, I would like to do this as well.

Fingers crossed  :)

Jackie
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 09:27:19 PM »
Hi Jackie,

it looks like you have mistaken the PHP generator archive with Google's own Phyton sitemap generator :)

And, yes - we're happy to help you with installation of this script. All you have to do is:
* make another payment of $9.99 to our Paypal account
* write an email with FTP details for your website so we can install it

webbsgraphics

• Where Will You Stick It?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 05:55:50 PM »
I've gone over and over the instruction here and in the documentation....but this is all I end up with:

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-configinit.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-configinit.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/page-configinit.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.utils.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 8

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.utils.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 8

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/class.utils.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 8

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.http.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 9

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.http.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 9

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/class.http.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 9

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-config.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-config.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/page-config.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 25

Also my "data" file was empty when I downloaded it.....and I had to create it in the generator file in cpanel (didn't upload with everything else)...so I can't change anything there since there is nothing to change....is it suppose to be this way? ???
Where will you Stick It?
Decals and Graphics customized to your needs for Cars, Trucks, RV's, Motorcycles and ATV's. We have hundreds of vinyl decals to choose from in many styles and colors.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 07:02:27 PM »
Hi,

please make sure you extracted the *whole* archive, including "pages/" subfolder with all required files.
Also, "data" is NOT a file, but the folder and it is included in archive as well.
Please check that you have "extract with subfolders" option enabled in your archiver software.

webbsgraphics

• Where Will You Stick It?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 11:02:22 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
It's soooo easy......... now.......after a day of looking to see what I missed.  I really thought I'd double checked EVERY thing over and over....and I completely missed a whole folder.  Well, another lesson learned.
Where will you Stick It?
Decals and Graphics customized to your needs for Cars, Trucks, RV's, Motorcycles and ATV's. We have hundreds of vinyl decals to choose from in many styles and colors.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 10:27:56 PM »
Ok, I've made it all the way to saving my configuration, but have hit a slight problem.

My sitemap.xml is not writable and the host server is not allowing the 'chmod' function to change the file.

How do I modify the permissions in this file?    ???

Need help!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 10:32:35 PM by dans »
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »
Ok; so I have created my new 'generator folder' in the root directory. Now what?

Do you think you can make the installation a little bit more complicated in your next update!

How do I go about setting permissions?

Forget it. I've had my monies worth out of your free xml generator. This installation really is a joke.