XML Sitemaps Generator

Author Topic: Installation in easier words  (Read 512519 times)

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
Installation in easier words
« on: July 06, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »
Hi All!

Note: please check our Step-by-step Sitemap Generator Installation Guide

These few steps described may help you in installation :)

1. You can create a folder "generator/" under your root public_html folder and extract archive contents there.
2. After unpacking you will enter this folder and set permissions for "generator/data/" folder.
3. Then create an empty "sitemap.xml" file in the root public_html folder and set permissions to it as well.
4. After that you will open the script in browser by going to www.yourdomain.com/generator/
5. There is the documentation page with other details in the archive.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:55:49 PM by admin »
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com
Send me a Private Message

For maximum exposure and traffic for your web site check out our additional SEO Services.

laraben

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
Re: Installation in easier words
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »
Sorry to be such a newbie, but are there any easier words than these to explain the installation?  I opened the download, and have uploaded all of the enclosed files to my server (I assume that is what unpacking is?)  I have a folder called "sitemap" on my server where I put them.  Now I'm stuck.  If I try to view the config.inc.php page it doesn't have anything on it when it's on the server although I can open it on the desktop in TextEdit and see the info there.  I can't figure out where/how to set permissions and where to set the configurations.  Most of the pages if I try to look at them on the server are blank.  My site is hosted with Yahoo.  I have an XML file already on the server that I generated online, but I'd like to be run my whole site.  I don't know anything about writing scripts so a lot of these instructions don't make sense to me.  I know how to upload files, and I can recognize the settings in the XML file, but I'm not sure how to get started.

Thanks if you can help!
Lara

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 03:57:13 PM »
Hi Lara,

the file permissions are set by any FTP client (the same that you use toupload the files).
Then you should open the main generator page:
http://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap/
And follow the instructions inside :)
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

For maximum exposure and traffic for your web site check out our additional SEO Services.

dave_finlayson

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 08:58:46 AM »
Hi,

Just bought and uploaded the script but when I run it i get a parse error on line 2 of the index.php file.

Anyone any ideas why?

Dave

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »
Hi Dave,

hmm.. please let me know in PM the URL of your generator instance.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

jedwards198

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 07:51:13 PM »
Hi,

Another newbie here :)

I am pretty sure I'm going to need to get someone (a friend) to help me with setting this up, as I don't understand most of it.

When I extracted the program from the zip, it made it's own folder called sitemap_gen-1.2.
I then put that folder with it's contents in my root directory where my site is online (the same place as my index.html file). Should I have taken those files out of that folder and instead created a new folder called generator that you mention above, and placed them in there? Or does that matter?
Also, I keep seeing the file called config.inc.php being mentioned. But I don't seem to have this file. Is it one that should have been in the zip? Here's the files that I received.

AUTHORS
 COPYING
 ChangeLog
 PKG-INFO
 README 
 example_config.xml 
 example_urllist.txt
 setup.py 
 sitemap_gen.py
 test_sitemap_gen.py

I am completly lost with the instructions about setting permissions (where do you do that, on the files in this program, or where we have are sites hosted?). On the example_config.xml do I just replace my site url  in the information and then rename to something else and save it into that folder?

I think this program is a great idea, but would love if it was as easy to operate as your online one where we just enter our site url :)

Thanks,

Jackie

jedwards198

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 08:10:25 PM »
I just noticed the topic regarding the possibility of you installing the program for a fee. I would have posted there, but it is a locked topic. Is this still an option? If so, I would like to do this as well.

Fingers crossed  :)

Jackie

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 08:27:19 PM »
Hi Jackie,

it looks like you have mistaken the PHP generator archive with Google's own Phyton sitemap generator :)

And, yes - we're happy to help you with installation of this script. All you have to do is:
* make another payment of $9.99 to our Paypal account
* write an email with FTP details for your website so we can install it
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

webbsgraphics

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
  • Where Will You Stick It?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 04:55:50 PM »
I've gone over and over the instruction here and in the documentation....but this is all I end up with:

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-configinit.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-configinit.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/page-configinit.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.utils.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 8

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.utils.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 8

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/class.utils.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 8

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.http.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 9

Warning: Unknown(pages/class.http.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 9

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/class.http.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 9

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-config.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: Unknown(pages/page-config.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening 'pages/page-config.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/webbsgra/public_html/generator/index.php(2) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 25

Also my "data" file was empty when I downloaded it.....and I had to create it in the generator file in cpanel (didn't upload with everything else)...so I can't change anything there since there is nothing to change....is it suppose to be this way? ???

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 06:02:27 PM »
Hi,

please make sure you extracted the *whole* archive, including "pages/" subfolder with all required files.
Also, "data" is NOT a file, but the folder and it is included in archive as well.
Please check that you have "extract with subfolders" option enabled in your archiver software.
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

webbsgraphics

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
  • Where Will You Stick It?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 10:02:22 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
It's soooo easy......... now.......after a day of looking to see what I missed.  I really thought I'd double checked EVERY thing over and over....and I completely missed a whole folder.  Well, another lesson learned.

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 12:01:15 PM »
Great, I'm glad you got it working! :)
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

dans

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 10:27:56 PM »
Ok, I've made it all the way to saving my configuration, but have hit a slight problem.

My sitemap.xml is not writable and the host server is not allowing the 'chmod' function to change the file.

How do I modify the permissions in this file?    ???

Need help!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 10:32:35 PM by dans »

XML-Sitemaps Support

• Administrator
Oleg Ignatiuk
www.xml-sitemaps.com

manvan

• Registered Customer
  • Approved member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »
Ok; so I have created my new 'generator folder' in the root directory. Now what?

Do you think you can make the installation a little bit more complicated in your next update!

How do I go about setting permissions?

Forget it. I've had my monies worth out of your free xml generator. This installation really is a joke.

SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
XHTML RSS WAP2